Tips for Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon
If you’re considering cosmetic surgery, you have a lot to think about. Choosing the right practice and surgeon requires a number of different things including: asking the right questions, research and your own personal judgment. Here are some questions to consider:
What are their certifications?
- It is extremely important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon that is certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery. This requires doctors to complete 3-5 years of training in general surgery, a minimum of 2-3 years in plastic surgery, and they must do continuing medical education and take a written test every 10 years.
Do they have good reviews?
- Making sure that a doctor achieves good results, has good bedside manner and is liked by previous patients is important. Make sure to look at Google reviews or websites like www.realself.com to help you make an educated decision.
What have your friends and family told you?
- Word-of-mouth is not something to be taken lightly. What other patients and community members say about a doctor says a lot about their skill and talent.
Do they have before and after photos?
- It is important to see the doctor’s work firsthand. Look at their website and when you go into the office for the consultation, ask to see photo books. The more pictures you like, the better.
Where will surgery take place?
- Make sure you do your research regarding the facility where you’ll be having surgery. Some plastic surgeons operate in hospitals and others use in-office operating suites. Our in-office, operating suite is designed for your safety, comfort, and privacy.
Were your questions answered?
- Try to write a list prior to going in for your consultation of everything that you want to ask the doctor. Make sure that they give you adequate time to answer your questions. Don’t be afraid to ask all of your questions. There is no such thing as a silly question when it comes to your body and your well-being.
Do you feel comfortable?
- Trust your instincts. If you feel confident with your choice, he has great reviews, appropriate credentials, and you like his staff and facility, you have probably found the right place for your surgery (and future surgeries). Everyone you meet should be courteous and help you to feel at ease.
If you’re researching cosmetic surgery and you find a physician that meets the above criteria and you personally like, it sounds like you have met your doctor! To meet with our board-certified plastic surgeon, please call 610-320-0200 to set up your consultation today.