Enjoying Berks County this Fall Season
As adults, we spend a great deal of our time taking care of our little ones. The fall is the perfect season for a little alone time or a date night as our kids are settling back into school and activities. When the weather gets cooler, there are some great places to enjoy the season and each other. Here are a few of my favorite Berks County spots to enjoy this fall season:
Enjoy A Fall Treat or Seasonal Craft Beer
- A delicious, warm meal in an intimate setting will make you forget about the cool weather outside. Mom Chaffe’s Cellarette in West Reading has been creating some of the best food in Berks County for many years. Don’t expect trendy décor or bold colors—one of the most endearing qualities is that you will be taken back 60 years into a traditional Italian restaurant with old picture frames and dim lighting. The lobster ravioli is a personal favorite.
- Children love hot chocolate, but Haute Chocolate Café in West Reading offers hot chocolate geared toward adults. Their various chocolates from around the world add a different spin to the tasty beverage. And if hot chocolate doesn’t suit you, they also have several homemade desserts and cold beverages. The ambiance of the dining area makes this location entirely unique.
- Fall is the perfect season for red wine. At Blair Vineyards in Kutztown, the precision it takes to grow perfectly seasoned grapes has been mastered creating flavorful, European-style wines. For just a few dollars, you can taste several wines in the rustic yet charming establishment that overlooks the beautiful Blue Mountains. Once you inevitably find the style (or styles) of wine that you prefer, you may purchase the local wine at reasonable prices. If you can’t make it up to the vineyard, don’t stress. Fortunately, some Berks County restaurants offer Blair Vineyards wine on their menu.
- If wine isn’t your preference, perhaps a tasty, fall craft beer is something more appealing to you. Our personal favorite? Chatty Monks Brewing Company. They have all sorts of small batch brews with tastes of the season, like their Crash Test Pumpkin Ale or their Jack the Ripper Pumpkin Porter. Whatever you choose, these ales are anything but ordinary.
Get Outside and Enjoy the Cool Weather
- As the weather and leaves are changing, fall is the perfect time for a hike. Hawk Mountain promises amazing views and bird sightings that you would never imagine could be possible in Berks County.
- One of the best times for purchasing locally grown produce is in the fall—leafy greens, apples, and pumpkins are at their prime during this time. In our opinion, the best place to shop for local goods is the Pennsylvania Dutch Farmers Market of Wyomissing, PA.
- Fall is arguably one of the best times for sports. Football and hockey are back in session. We are lucky enough in Reading to have the Reading Royals, who were the 2013 ECHL Kelly Cup champions. While the team boasts a great deal of young hockey talent, the Santander Arena is conveniently located in downtown Reading and is within walking distance of several great restaurants.
- Too cold outside? Head over to The Works of Wyomissing, a 125,000 square foot fun house. There is endless entertainment including the huge “Ballocity” play area, a 7-dimensional motion theater, “Silly Willy’s” high-speed go-cart track, and our personal favorite—Laser Tag! We recently took our own staff trip to The Works, and needless say, we had a great time!
Check out this map to find your way to all of these perfect fall ideas!